Breath Empowerment &
The Secret of Tumo Heat Generation
~Feels like a Humming Engine Inside Your Belly
One of the key focuses of Qigong practice is mastering the art of breathing. How we breathe has a vital effect on our well-being physically, mentally, and spiritually. As you gain more control of your breathing, you gain more mastery of the rest of your body.
Breath Is Life
Breathing is the number one thing that we naturally do to keep our bodies alive. Regular breathing is governed by the autonomic nervous system and doesn’t require any conscious thought to make it happen. Each breath you take delivers oxygen to your lungs for distribution to the cells of your body.
The Mind-Breath Link
Breathing is linked to the mind in a powerful way that we don’t often think about or consciously use to our advantage. If you think about it, our natural advice to someone who is panicking is always take deep breaths. How we breathe affects our body’s response and is key to what happens inside our bodies. Qigong teaches the types of breathing that will unlock a healthier way to cope with the stress of life.
How Stress Affects Our Health
Our bodies are designed to respond to danger with a built-in ‘fight-or-flight’ response. Adrenalin and cortisol are released which increase blood pressure, blood sugar, and suppress the immune system. This creates a temporary boost of power and energy to overcome or get away from the situation, which is a good thing. But, when we live too fast and under constant stress, our bodies live in a permanent state of fight-or-flight.
The toxic trio of increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, and a suppressed immune system are at the root of most of the health issues plaguing millions of people worldwide. Qigong breathing offers a solution to this cycle.
The Effects Of Stress On Mental Health
Living under constant stress affects clear thinking and our ability to put things into perspective. Small issues, (like traffic) and large issues become blurred until life feels overwhelming and impossible. This can easily lead to chronic anxiety and even depression.
How Does Qigong Breathing Help?
Qigong breathing teaches breath mastery. As you learn to mindfully control the speed and depth of each breath you take, your body responds in three key ways:
- Your heart beats slower and more effectively
- Muscles relax
- Levels of nitric oxide increase, which relaxes blood vessel muscles and lowers blood pressure
Deep breathing is a signal to your body that the danger is over. The fight-or-flight hormone production stops and your body returns to a neutral, peaceful state. Your mind becomes clear and you regain perspective. This peace spills over into every part of your life.
Qigong Breathing vs Regular
Breathing – 3 Key Differences
- Normal breathing happens without conscious thought. Qigong breathing is done mindfully and purposefully.
- Regular breathing happens in the lungs and the chest cavity. Qigong breathing is also known as diaphragmatic breathing (belly breathing) and focuses on using the diaphragm more than the lungs. This doesn’t come naturally and takes conscious effort and practice to get right.
- Normal breathing is influenced by external factors and has the ability to elicit unwanted responses inside the body. Qigong breathing can be practiced when faced with stressful situations, allowing you to retain a measure of control over your body’s responses.
Extra Benefits of Qigong Breathing
As you become more proficient in Qigong breathing techniques, you will find other unexpected benefits that will improve your quality of life.
- Qigong breathing practice has been used effectively to help ease the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Core muscle stability improves.
- The body’s ability to cope with intense exercise is increased.
- Teaches you deep relaxation.
- It lowers the risk of injury.
Everything You Need To Know
About Qigong Breathing
We have developed a full series of Qigong resources to help you grow in the understanding and practice of Qigong.
There are specific Qigong breathing training materials available, including the basics of how to get started – Breath Empowerment, and advanced techniques, such as the 9-Breath Method.
Contact us for more information or to book for a Qi Revolution event.